29 Jun 10 Healthy Snacks to Curb Those Sugar Cravings
Just because you‘re health conscious, doesn’t mean you and the kids can’t enjoy a sweet treat every once in a while.(Chances are, you deserve it!)
When those sugar cravings kick in, reach for one of these healthier alternatives instead of that bag of marshmallows. There are hundreds of mouthwatering sweet treats that will satisfy your sweet tooth without making you, or your kids, go into a lifelong sugar coma. We’ve rounded up 10 of our favorite treats that are easy to prepare, healthy, and most importantly, delicious!
- Jolly Llama Sorbet and Cream Pops – Treat yourself to one of the world’s most beloved desserts. These fun pops are refreshingly sweet, and are dairy free, gluten free, and non gmo. Their whole fruit and clean ingredients make this the perfect snack to fill your sweet cravings without overdoing it on the “white stuff.” With nine flavors to choose from ranging from Banana Coconut, to Mint Chocolate Chip, and Raspberry to Salted Caramel, there’s no lack of sweetness! Most of the sorbet pops have under 100 calories and are lip-smacking good! Get $1 off 2 boxes of sorbet pops with this coupon!
- No Bake Energy Bites – They’re not called energy bites for no reason. They’re packed full of protein, fiber, and sweetness that is sure to hit the sweet spot. These savory treats taste like chocolate oatmeal cookies. With just a few minutes to prepare, you’ll be biting your way into heaven before you know it. You can even add one scoop of protein powder to increase the protein. For convenience, make a batch of these ahead of time, then individually wrap them in syran wrap and refrigerate.
- Black Bean Brownies – Boxed brownies just don’t hold a flame against these delicious brownies. With only ¼ cup of flour, lots of black beans, and a few other ingredients, these babies are soft, moist, and melt in your mouth. They’re like manna from heaven. For a healthier option, omit the powdered sugar topping, and substitute the oil with applesauce. You won’t feel guilty over this high-protein treat. (Make a bunch of these ahead of time by baking them in muffin tins, then freezing them in a Ziploc bag. Just reheat them for 10-15 seconds in the microwave and they taste as if they came straight out of the oven!)
- Cinnamon Apple Chips – If you’re someone who loves a good crunch, you’ve got to try these easy homemade apple chips. Unlike store-bought apple chips, these aren’t fried and they have no sugar. (Mom Win!) If you want to take it a step further, dip your apple chips in fat free vanilla yogurt mixed with some cinnamon.
- Smoothies – These cool, refreshing drinks are a great way to sneak healthy ingredients in to your diet, while satisfying your sweet tooth. With some recipes only calling for 3 ingredients, these are super easy to make. Just throw all the ingredients in the blender, and 30 seconds later you’ll be relaxing and slurping the magical goodness away. Low in calories, and high in flavor, these drinks are low in sugar, yet packed full of vitamins, minerals, and calcium. It just doesn’t get much better than this.
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries – Who says you can only eat this delectable treat on Valentine’s Day? Like any fresh fruit, strawberries are a healthy choice to add to any diet (see many of their health benefits on our post here) with their vitamins, amino acids, and antioxidants. But when you smother them in dark chocolate, their taste rises to a whole new level. Indulge in a couple of these strawberries for under 150 calories.
- Cinnamon Honey Popcorn – Who doesn’t love popcorn?! This scrumptious treat is easy to whip up and is ready within minutes. With only 6 ingredients, this will curb anyone’s sugar craving. It’s the perfect blend of sweet and salty, and is fingerlicking good! (Literally!)
- Peanut Butter Fluff Dip with Fresh Fruit- It’s no secret that fruit is a natural sweetener and good for you. But this dip is the icing on the cake. It’s light, creamy, and the perfect blend of sweetness. (Plus, is there anything that doesn’t taste good with peanut butter?) This is the perfect after school healthy snack for the kids that satisfies the sugary cravings, and packs in the protein and vitamins. Just grab your favorite fruit (we suggest apple slices, bananas, grapes, and strawberries) and dip away!
- Peanut Butter Banana Quesadillas – For those who don’t like a lot of extra sweets laying around to tempt them throughout the day, you’ll love this single serving treat. You can cook this quesadilla up quickly, and in a matter of minutes, you’ll be enjoying the crunchy shell with the ooey-gooey center. It’s simply divine! This fiber-licious, protein packed snack will definitely leave you satisfied and smiling.
- Skinny Banana Cookies – Get ready to drool. These gluten-free, dairy-free cookies have only three ingredients, and are sure to please everyone in the family. If you’re not a chocolate fan, substitute the chocolate chips for cranberries or raisins instead. Who knew cookies could taste so good AND be healthy?
Which treat are you most excited to try?